Rain in Las Vegas results in more accidents for drivers used to dry roads. Dangerous conditions result in Personal Injury attorneys becoming very busy in the days after the downfall. With an annual average of only 21 days of measurable precipitation, a combination of lack of experience and extra slick roads are the often the leading culprits of crash calamity.
How do you stay safe when the weather turns? We recommend the following to increase your chances of making it safely to your destination:
- Slow down a bit & give yourself extra time to make it to where you need to be. Our Southern Nevada roads have weeks of accumulated of oil & dirt. The accident rates predictably increase with each downfall as this dangerous slippery slurry skims the surface of the streets. Not driving faster than what is safe on slippery roads is integral to safety.
- Make sure your windshield wipers work well before you need them. Rubber on Nevadans’ wipers dry-rot and wear out faster than more temperate climates. Seeing clearly is important.
- Never drive through standing water. It can be costly both monetarily and with your life.
- Our Southern Nevada roads have weeks of accumulated of oil & dirt. The accident rates predictably increase with each downfall as this dangerous slippery slurry skims the surface of the streets.
- Back off a bit. Give yourself additional space between your front bumper & the car in front of you. Rearending accidents are the most common during poor weather. And you are ALWAYS at fault when you rear-end the person in front of you.
- Do not drive distracted. Turn the radio down a bit. Leave the cell phone down. Don’t get distracted by passengers during the drive. Your presence & focus on the road & conditions around you is your best defense to danger.
- Have your vehicle inspected regularly. Especially the tires & brakes. These elements are incredibly important in defensive driving.
We at April Becker & Associates wish you safe travels. If an accident befalls you on a rainy day or when it is dry-as-a-bone, we are there for you, always protecting your best interests.